Monday, November 28, 2011

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman


The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel ChristSUMMARY: (from Goodreads): Part novel, part history, part fairytale, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ offers a radical new take on the myths and the mysteries of the Gospels, and the genesis of church that has so shaped the course of the last two millennia. With all the magic for which Pullman's storytelling is famed, this provocative and thoughtful new book from one of Britain's best loved writers promises to be the highest profile yet in Canongate's acclaimed Myths Series.

MY OPINION:

This book is an example of a unique approach to presenting the author’s view on Christianity and the Catholic Church. Philip Pullman, a self-proclaimed atheist, presents his view on the ideas of Christianity - the good side, illustrated in the character of Jesus, whereas the character of Christ represents the Catholic Church - clearly presenting the bad side.

As a Christian, I find it difficult to say anything specific about this book without explaining my religious beliefs. However, a book review is not a place for such a thing. Therefore, I will just say that The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ deserves recognition for its originality and the author's knowledge on the subject. Hence, I rate it **A LITTLE STRANGE due to its language and creativity. The content is on my opinion impossible to rate, since the book deals with a complex issue resolvable only by everyone on their own, or not even that.

This book is a highly provocative and thought-provoking read. It asks a lot of questions and tests the readers’ beliefs. It is the kind of book that demands an open mind and must be taken with (more than) a grain of salt. 

RECOMMENDATION: This is a not a book for people who are easily offended or not ready to put their beliefs to a test.

3 comments:

  1. I like provocative reads, I'm not afraid of them, but I do like to hear both sides of an argument, so maybe for now, this is not for me. Great review, though, very diplomatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info - I've been curious about this one. I think I'll wait until I run across it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, sounds interesting! I like books that make me think!

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!