Monday, April 23, 2012

Five for Five: Change


Change is good. Change brings progress. I know that. But –

I do not like change. Many people I know do not either.

Change means the unknown. If I do not know something, I have no control over it. Not knowing, not being in control signals vulnerability. Change means a risk of getting hurt. Nobody wants to get hurt. The possibly of it happening scares us. So, we fear changes.

Change does not have to be big to be scary. Just think about it. It can be something small, such as reading a book outside your comfort zone.

I read a wide variety of genres, but there are a few I prefer to the rest. Reading within my comfort zone is reassuring because I know what to expect and how to feel about it. Reading a new genre means I have to open my mind to accepting new concepts, readjusting my opinion, exploring my emotions, and testing my beliefs. All of it belongs to the area of the unknown. Hence, I need to be at my best to try reading outside my preferred genres.

Naturally, we can not and should not avoid all changes. We have to face some changes and let them make us better. The same goes for reading. Therefore, I pick up a new kind of read from time to time and let it teach me, change me, and improve me.

How about you? Would you agree that the fear of being hurt is the reason why people reject change? Are you afraid of change or do you welcome it as a chance of improvement? As for the reading part: do you find it hard to try reading outside your comfort zone? Does it matter how you feel when deciding to try something new or not?

Please, feel free to sound off your thoughts in the comments.

*****

Five for Five is a community event for bloggers hosted by Jen and Sarah at Momalom from April 23–27. As this is primarily a book blog, I will include bookish themes is some of my Five for Five posts this week. So, if you are my regular reader, please do not get scared away by the change (pun intended), I am not turning this blog upside down. And if you are new to Beyond Strange New Words, take a look around and feel welcome to visit again if you like what you see.

Learn more about Five for Five HERE and visit other participants’ posts HERE

14 comments:

  1. I love my comfort zone, and I prefer to stay there. Usually, someone has to nudge me out before I can be open to a change. But once I'm out, I'm usually amazed by how much I learn and experience and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel. I need a good kick put myself out there, too. But, as you say, it is worth it.

      Delete
  2. Usually I change in response to where life is taking me or else it'll be difficult to initiate something new just 'cuz, you know? But I know in my heart it's good so I embrace it, yet it's really hard for me to get used to. Takes awhile but eventually, I get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is hard but yes, knowing it's good for you can help you deal with it. Although it takes me awhile to accept change, too.

      Delete
  3. I think it's the fear of the unknown that keeps people complacent. I push myself to welcome change because I believe deep down that change is good and it's the only way you will grow as a being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is the other side of the coin, isn't it? It definitely takes effort to better ourselves.

      Delete
  4. Reading outside of my comfort zone excites me. It excites me as long it keeps me engaged. However, I don't like to read about rape. That is my boundary. If I know a story has rape in it then I will turn it down.

    Now on the question of change... I embrace it! Bring it on is my motto.

    Alita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rape is a difficult topic, I do not like reading about it. I have read a few books with rape in them but those were very emotional, hard to deal with.

      Delete
  5. I enjoying reading new things, but the material can't be dry. I can read anything interesting and well written. :)

    As for change, I try to welcome it, but I usually need to reel for a while before I can pull myself together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't enjoy boring reads, either. I love new things when they are interesting and the writing is good.

      I'm the same when it comes to change - it takes me some time to embrace it.

      Delete
  6. My book clubs push me to read books outside of my genre. Sometimes I am disappointed, but most of the time I am surprised by new worlds and the gems I find.

    As I get older, I am less anxious about change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been more good reading surprises out there than disappointments for me, too.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the "favorite book genre" thing. Contemporary Lit is my genre. Right now I'm reading Quiet, the book about introverts. It's quite something but just getting used to the format and the language takes a whole lot of preparation on my part. It's not quite like delving into a good book at the end of the day. It's more like work. But, as you said, it makes me better to stretch myself in this way. And not just with books, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading a new genre really takes a lot more energy and time than reading what you're used to. But expanding your horizon is rewarding. Naturally, not just with books! :)

      Delete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!