Monday, November 14, 2016

Jurassic World (2015)

DIRECTOR: Colin Trevorrow; CAST: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins…

SUMMARY (from IMDB)A new theme park is built on the original site of Jurassic Park. Everything is going well until the park's newest attraction – a genetically modified giant stealth killing machine – escapes containment and goes on a killing spree.

MY THOUGHTS:

As usually, I am terribly behind film watching, but anyway, I finally got to this one.

First of all, the Hammond references and the old entrance and main area and the darn InGEN and stupid greedy scientists gave me so many nostalgic feels. Also, brand revivals like this are what makes me feel old all of a sudden, when it really registers with me that it has been more than 20 years since Jurrasic Park. Wow.

So, obviously they didn’t learn anything from the previous disasters. Why, yes, creating a giant part-raptor was such a brilliant idea, what could ever go wrong? Oops.

And they still haven’t learned, so I suspect there is always a chance for another film, where minimised super-intelligent Indominus Rexes threaten to take over the world. Well.

That said, despite the “bigger, scarier, and toothier” dinosaurs, Jurrasic World really wasn’t that scary? I mean, it was gross enough that I had to look away from the screen a few times, but not scary. And I can’t actually say that that is because being desensitized to it all, because whenever I come across a Jurrasic Park rerun and rewatch it, I still get scared, even after all these years and all the times I have seen it.

I guess size isn’t everything after all, ahem. BTW, the T-Rex looked more like a pet. But at least he got to be the king of the world (well, the island) in the end (the sea monster is more like the emperor, okay?)

I still liked it, but mostly for, as I said, nostalgic reasons. It had all the ingredients of the trademark, though: unprepared bosses and unexpected heroes, clever kids, family bonding in dire circumstances, doomed folk in predictably dangerous situations, and so on.

I liked the main characters, too; Chris Pratt was awesome and I liked Bryce’s character as well (along with ridiculous running in heels through the jungle, lol.)

Finally, I never expected to feel anything but fear (and awe) in regard to velociraptors, much less sympathy, but the fact that only one survived in the end made me tear up. Poor Blue! (Obviously, I also felt sorry for all the murdered-for-sport brontosauruses.)


RECOMMENDATION: All in all, Jurassic World isn’t the spectacle that was promised, but it is entertaining enough. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!